Today begins the 14th ELCA Churchwide Assembly in New Orleans. This assembly (August 8-13) has the theme of, “Freed and Renewed in Christ: 500 Years of God’s Grace in Action,” and is the primary decision-making body of the church that:
- Hears reports and reviews the work of churchwide officers, leaders and units;
- Receives and considers proposals from synod assemblies;
- Elects a vice president, officers, board members and other leaders;
- Adopts a budget;
- Establishes ELCA churchwide policy; and
- Conducts other business related the ELCA churchwide organization.
It is a time for us to be the living body of Christ, guided by the Holy Spirit and conformed to God’s will that is determined through communal spiritual discernment.
Each day is centered in worship at 11 am with Holy Communion, followed by a lunch together, followed by Bible Study at 1:15 so that hearing the Word, receiving the Word, studying the Word are central to the assembly.
Bishop Mauney asks us to join him and nine leaders of the Virginia Synod attending in praying for the whole Church, for the ELCA, the Lutheran World Federation, the synods and our synod, for the institutions and schools and camps, the campus ministries, the congregations and vocations of all within the Church and world for the sake of the world.
For more information about the assembly: https://guidebook.com/guide/38501/
Join the Facebook conversation: #ELCAcwa (and on Twitter: #ELCACWA)
Also follow livestream: http://livestream.com/elca/events/5829763